For 222: This is your “To Do” List for the computer lab
*While you are working on the computer, Mrs. Falwell will come around to check your science fair packet to sign off on the things that are due. The list of due dates in on page 3 of your packet.
1. Look up your Class Dojo Points for the start of class
- Mrs. Falwell will give you a purple paper with your code if you have not connected to Class Dojo yet.
- Remember that 20 points of your exit ticket is calculating the change in Dojo Points, so getting this first number is important
- You may use your personal email for this or your school email- you choose
2. Look up your current grade on Student Portal
- To get to Student Portal, go to the right column of this webpage, look under “Login Links” and click “Student Portal”
- Use your CPS login
- If you do not know your CPS login, Mrs. Falwell will give you a green paper with your username and ID number
3. For exit slip question #1 answer this question: What is your current grade in science and what will you do to make it better in the next 2 weeks?
4. Check your CPS student email for an invitation from Mrs. Falwell to join Google Classroom and connect to her class
5. Sign in to Google Classroom and connect to Mrs. Falwell’s class
- To get to Google Classroom, go to the right column of this webpage, look under “Login Links” and click “Google Classroom.”
- You must use your CPS login for Google Classroom (The green paper Mrs. Falwell gave you has your username and ID number
- To connect to Mrs. Falwell’s class click the + sign in the upper right corner
- use the code she will give you on a red piece of paper
- OR you can go into your CPS email and look for the invitation Mrs. Falwell sent you
6. Do the assignment “What is your science fair topic and problem statement?”
- Find the assignment (the latest assignment is on top, so you will have to scroll down)
- When you see the assignment “What is your science fair topic and problem statement?” click “Open”
- Write your answer as a private comment and click “post” to send it to Mrs. Falwell
- When you are done sending your comment click “Mark Complete” so Mrs. Falwell knows you are ready for her to grade it.
- If you need to change your answer you will have to unsubmit it, post a new comment to change your answer, and then mark it done again.
7. Do the assignment “What type of learner are you?”
- When you see the assignment “What type of learner are you?” you will see the directions and 3 links,
- To turn in this assignment you will need to open the Google Doc and follow the directions.
- You will put a screen shot of your survey results into the Google Doc. The last link on the assignment tells you how to do a screen on a Mac computer like we use in the computer lab.
- When you are done making changes to the Google Doc click “Mark Complete” to turn it in so Mrs. Falwell knows you are ready for her to grade it.
8. Complete your Achieve 3000 assignments
- To get to Achieve 3000, go to the right column of this webpage, look under “Login Links” and click “Achieve 3000.”
All due dates for the science fair are listed on page 3 of your packet. Use this link if you need to reprint your packet.
Due Tues, Oct 20:
- Topic (see category list pg 5-7 of packet)
- Problem Statement (in the form of a question, write it on page 13 of the packet using the Science Lab Report Organizer Rough Draft)
- Safety Sheet (page 23 of packet)
If you plan to have a partner you need a note from BOTH parents saying you have their permission to work with the other student and where/when you will meet. You need to plan to meet at least once a week.
KEEP YOUR PACKET TOGETHER! You will fill in the parts as they are due and your parents and teacher will sign off on page 3 as they check each part. Do not pull your packet apart.
Go to this page if you lost your packet and need to print it again. I will not be making more copies of such a large packet. Note that there are 2 parts because there are so many pages of information.
The Jose de Diego and Sabin robotics team are participating in Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry’s Robotic Revolution Block Party Sunday, Oct 11, 2015.
This is the 2nd year that Jose de Diego was invited to participate. Last year Diego’s robotics team was honored as the only CPS middle school invited to participate with high school robotics teams.
Check out their robots as they play soccer and students show off their engineering and programming skills! Then tour the Robot Revolution special exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry.
6th grade- Earth Model. Students were given the shape (started as 4 circles which attach together). You must put at least 2 facts per layer to achieve a level 3 “meets” expectations. Adding more facts will earn you points toward a level 4 “exceeds.” This project is due NO LATER than Friday. Write your name and homeroom number on the world with the continents. The facts can be on any part of the paper with that layer- For example, you do not have to write so tiny that it fits in the skinny area of the crust.
7th grade- variables sheet due Tuesday. You will also get on Wed which will be due Thurs.
Quiz Tuesday on Observation, Inference and Variables. You will need to identify statements as observation or inference. You will need to identify examples as one of the 3 kinds of variables: independent, dependent or control. You will use examples from Dr. Goldberger’s pellagra experiment and from our sensitivity experiment (with the toothpicks).
Quiz Wednesday on the structure of the Earth- layers, and formation of volcanoes. You will need to label the layers of the earth and describe each layer. For volcanoes you will need to match each type and describe how they form. Volcano types include fountain, curtain and flow.
I hope you enjoyed your summer and are looking forward to the beginning of a new school year. I will be joining Jose de Diego Community Academy as the 6th grade science teacher.
I am proud of all that my Irving STEM students accomplished over the last two years, and I wish you the best as you return to school next week. Please feel free to contact me and tell me how you are doing. You can use the contact button at the top of the page to send me an email. If you decide you do not want to continue receiving email when an announcement is posted to this website, you may click “unsubscribe” at the bottom of the email.