CPS level Invention Convention Saturday, May 16, 2015
Congratulations to the students who represented Washington Irving at the CPS level Invention Convention 2015:
CPS level Invention Convention 2015 photos
Miranda Bernal- Bandaid Bracelet
Burtrell “BJ” Selph- Selphanator Trash Reducing System
Ida Maina- Child Presence Alert System (won 2nd place for 5th grade)
Timothy LaRue- Safety Lite Vest
Emmanuel Ramirez- Shalt Snow Shovel (won honorable mention)
Amaya Whaley- Bus Card Glove
Joshua Smith- Music To Go (won honorable mention)
Washington Irving Invention Convention Winners
- Date: Saturday, May 16th, 2015
- Location: Clemente Community Academy, 1147 N. Western Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
- Public Transportation: Within walking distance of many public transportation options.
- Bus – 49, 70, 52, 50, Train – 1 mile from Division and Damen Blue Line stops
- Parking: There is a small lot on the southeast corner of Western and Division as well as street parking available.
- Entry: Please enter the building doors on the north side of Division St (by the gyms).
- Parents, grandparents, siblings, neighbors, etc. are all welcome to attend.
Event Day Timeline
- Check In: Student check-in and setup will be from 8:15 AM-9:15 AM. Each student will receive an assigned judging time upon check-in at the event.
- Judging: Judging will be in half hour increments from 9:30 AM-11:30 AM.
- Awards: Awards will be from 12:15 PM-1:00 PM. All inventors MUST be present for the judging and the awards presentation to be judged and to be eligible for a prize. All members of a team must be present.
Be sure you have your project ready to present (board, packet and prototype). Be ready to show you invention to the judges and explain the design process (how you came up with the idea; how you built, tested and made modifications to improve it). Dress nicely to impress the judges and to take pictures.
Washington Irving’s Invention Convention Friday, March 6, 2015
(You may bring your projects after school on Thursday 3/6/15 between 3:30-4:30 or bring them with you to school Friday morning)
All Students 4-8th grade will participate. This is a project grade
- Display Board (purchase at school for $5)
- Student Journal
- Working Prototype
- Invention Questionnaire
- Student Journal (official format for the invention convention)
- Invention PowerPoint from guest speaker about Bernard’s Invention (includes video link)
2015 Suggested Timeline:
1. Identify Problem- no later than Jan 30 (about 2 weeks)
2. Make prototype- the first time you make it should be no later than Feb 13 (about 2 weeks)
3. Test and make improvements- continue until it works well
4. Make Board- no later than March 1
5. Practice Presentation- March 1 until
6. Bring board, student journal and working prototype to the gym- before school Friday, March 6
7. Take project home and save until CPS level Invention Convention, make improvements as needed (CPS date and location to be announced)
8. Winners of Irving Invention Convention announced- Monday, March 9
2014 Invention Convention page– pictures and highlights from last year