Submit your work to the Diego Anthology. See site for categories and rules. Entries must be submitted before June 1, 2016.
Test Thursday on these cell organelles. Know their function and be able to label on a diagram.
- cell wall
- cell membrane
- golgi body (golgi apparatus)
- endoplasmic reticulum
First Quarter Report Card Pick Up is Wednesday
Noon -3 pm and 3:45 – 6 pm
Middle School parents pick up report cards from homeroom and then please stop by to speak with your child’s other teachers.
Be sure to sign in with each teacher.
For 222: This is your “To Do” List for the computer lab
*While you are working on the computer, Mrs. Falwell will come around to check your science fair packet to sign off on the things that are due. The list of due dates in on page 3 of your packet.
1. Look up your Class Dojo Points for the start of class
- Mrs. Falwell will give you a purple paper with your code if you have not connected to Class Dojo yet.
- Remember that 20 points of your exit ticket is calculating the change in Dojo Points, so getting this first number is important
- You may use your personal email for this or your school email- you choose
2. Look up your current grade on Student Portal
- To get to Student Portal, go to the right column of this webpage, look under “Login Links” and click “Student Portal”
- Use your CPS login
- If you do not know your CPS login, Mrs. Falwell will give you a green paper with your username and ID number
3. For exit slip question #1 answer this question: What is your current grade in science and what will you do to make it better in the next 2 weeks?
4. Check your CPS student email for an invitation from Mrs. Falwell to join Google Classroom and connect to her class
5. Sign in to Google Classroom and connect to Mrs. Falwell’s class
- To get to Google Classroom, go to the right column of this webpage, look under “Login Links” and click “Google Classroom.”
- You must use your CPS login for Google Classroom (The green paper Mrs. Falwell gave you has your username and ID number
- To connect to Mrs. Falwell’s class click the + sign in the upper right corner
- use the code she will give you on a red piece of paper
- OR you can go into your CPS email and look for the invitation Mrs. Falwell sent you
6. Do the assignment “What is your science fair topic and problem statement?”
- Find the assignment (the latest assignment is on top, so you will have to scroll down)
- When you see the assignment “What is your science fair topic and problem statement?” click “Open”
- Write your answer as a private comment and click “post” to send it to Mrs. Falwell
- When you are done sending your comment click “Mark Complete” so Mrs. Falwell knows you are ready for her to grade it.
- If you need to change your answer you will have to unsubmit it, post a new comment to change your answer, and then mark it done again.
7. Do the assignment “What type of learner are you?”
- When you see the assignment “What type of learner are you?” you will see the directions and 3 links,
- To turn in this assignment you will need to open the Google Doc and follow the directions.
- You will put a screen shot of your survey results into the Google Doc. The last link on the assignment tells you how to do a screen on a Mac computer like we use in the computer lab.
- When you are done making changes to the Google Doc click “Mark Complete” to turn it in so Mrs. Falwell knows you are ready for her to grade it.
8. Complete your Achieve 3000 assignments
- To get to Achieve 3000, go to the right column of this webpage, look under “Login Links” and click “Achieve 3000.”
Go to this page if you lost your packet and need to print it again. I will not be making more copies of such a large packet. Note that there are 2 parts because there are so many pages of information.
This is the 2nd year that Jose de Diego was invited to participate. Last year Diego’s robotics team was honored as the only CPS middle school invited to participate with high school robotics teams.
Quiz Tuesday on Observation, Inference and Variables. You will need to identify statements as observation or inference. You will need to identify examples as one of the 3 kinds of variables: independent, dependent or control. You will use examples from Dr. Goldberger’s pellagra experiment and from our sensitivity experiment (with the toothpicks).
Quiz Wednesday on the structure of the Earth- layers, and formation of volcanoes. You will need to label the layers of the earth and describe each layer. For volcanoes you will need to match each type and describe how they form. Volcano types include fountain, curtain and flow.
6th grade students need to finish their public service announcement about earthquakes. It needs to include:
- What causes earthquakes?
- What should a person do to be safe during an earthquake?
- Why is it important for someone to know about earthquakes? (Why should they pay attention to this announcement?)
Students will turn in their essay at the end of class tomorrow. We are working on this in class, but some students chose to also work on it at home. This is what should be included:
-State which clinical trial you chose to fund
*Justify your choice by citing textual evidence
*Address concerns of the opposing view (why did you choose this trial instead of the others?)
-If additional funds become available, how would you vote to give the next money to? Why?
-Is there a trial you would not fund? If so, why?
Thanksgiving Break begins Wednesday, November 26. Enjoy the holiday!
8th grade is doing a lab that needs soil samples. Please bring in a small beg of soil and label the location where it was collected. Any student can bring it in. It would be interesting to see soil from other places if you are traveling this holiday.