Progress reports go home Thursday, March 10, 2016. Please sign and return to your homeroom teacher.
4- 6 pm Tuesday, September 22, 2015
Jose de Diego Community Academy
I hope you enjoyed your summer and are looking forward to the beginning of a new school year. I will be joining Jose de Diego Community Academy as the 6th grade science teacher.
I am proud of all that my Irving STEM students accomplished over the last two years, and I wish you the best as you return to school next week. Please feel free to contact me and tell me how you are doing. You can use the contact button at the top of the page to send me an email. If you decide you do not want to continue receiving email when an announcement is posted to this website, you may click “unsubscribe” at the bottom of the email.
Students who did especially well at our school Invention Convention were invited to the CPS level Invention Convention this Saturday at Clemente Community Academy.
- Date: Saturday, May 16th, 2015
- Location: Clemente Community Academy, 1147 N. Western Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
- Public Transportation: Within walking distance of many public transportation options.
- Bus – 49, 70, 52, 50, Train – 1 mile from Division and Damen Blue Line stops
- Parking: There is a small lot on the southeast corner of Western and Division as well as street parking available.
- Entry: Please enter the building doors on the north side of Division St (by the gyms).
- Parents, grandparents, siblings, neighbors, etc. are all welcome to attend.
Event Day Timeline
- Check In: Student check-in and setup will be from 8:15 AM-9:15 AM. Each student will receive an assigned judging time upon check-in at the event.
- Judging: Judging will be in half hour increments from 9:30 AM-11:30 AM.
- Awards: Awards will be from 12:15 PM-1:00 PM. All inventors MUST be present for the judging and the awards presentation to be judged and to be eligible for a prize. All members of a team must be present.
The AOW link on the website is updated each quarter so that your answers get recorded for the current grading period. Please make sure that you use the current link to enter your question answers. It will say “3rd quarter” in the title. The icon on ComeLearnMore.com that looks like a pencil and paper will always have the current link. If you bookmarked the page last quarter you are not using the current link.
Since this has come to my attention I will be checking the timestamp for items that were submitted on the wrong link and I will give you credit for the work you did. I will work to make the old link unavailable to help avoid this confusion in the future.
CONCEPT MAP DUE TUES (WED FOR CLASSES I DON’T SEE ON TUES)
5th-8th grade students started creating a concept map for Electricity on Friday. They need to use words and pictures to explain what they learned about electricity.
These are key terms from the unit to help you plan and create your concept map:
- Dry Cell
- Schematic Model
- Contact Point
- In Opposition
- In Series
There is more than one way to design your concept map. Think of it like a mini-poster explaining electricity to someone using words and pictures.
PROGRESS REPORTS TO BE SIGNED
Students were given a detailed progress report for my class which shows individual assignments which needs to be signed and returned. This is a homework grade.
AOW DUE EVERY FRIDAY
Students will present their inventions at the 2nd annual Washington Irving Invention Convention on Friday, March 6, 2015. Students should bring to school their invention, board, and student journal.
There will be no AOW assignment due until after the Invention Convention to give students more time to work on their project.
I will be staying after school on Thursday as usual to help as needed.
Check out this page to keep you stay on track for the Invention Convention:
It will walk you through the steps so that you can make sure you’re on track. You should be on step 5- make your prototype.
The Irving Invention Convention is March 6th.
Remember that I am available for help. In addition to when I see you in class, I get to school early and I stay after on Thursdays.